Etsy VFGteam Featured Seller

Welcome to our VFG Blog series featuring members of the VFGteam at Etsy!


You will be introduced to a different Team member in each new post. Please check out our Team Gallery page here.
Today's featured seller is Maxine and you can visit her shop PersonalPursuits here.

1. When did you first get interested in vintage fashion & why?

I was in the 7th grade when I first started wearing vintage and I used to wear my great grandfather’s tuxedo with tails to school. It is rather funny now thinking about it because I did not wear it because it was vintage but because I liked the look. My art teacher thought it was pretty neat too! In high school, I would wear my grandmother’s cashmere swing coats and three-quarter sleeve curly wool bolero. Again never thinking it was vintage but because I loved the look.

I continued to wear different vintage clothing with matching hats into my 20’s and beyond never realizing that they were considered collectible or labeled as vintage. Then I discovered the internet and, much to my surprise, other people wore vintage clothing. I was astonished when I saw all the things available for sale and went on a major spending spree for myself. I was hooked on vintage at an early age and did not even know that it had a name; I just knew I loved the look, the fabrics and the joy of wearing these pieces of history.


2. Do you regularly wear vintage?

I really am a jeans and T-shirt type of gal but when I do dress up I always try to wear some vintage clothing and jewelry. However, I love vintage hats and wear them whether I am dressed down or up.


3. Do you have a Holy Grail?

Not actually but I absolutely love the early Dorothy O’Hara dresses.


4. If you could visit the atelier of any fashion designer (dead or alive), who would it be?

Although Lilli Ann was a fashion company and not an atelier, I would have loved to visit the business during its early years. The fabrics and construction they used are amazing and the designs are timeless.


5. What do you see as the future of vintage?

Current fashions concern me because we now live in a throw-away society and, due to the quality of many of today’s garments, they will not withstand the test of time. I believe as time goes on there will be less availability and higher prices of items now sold as vintage due to the current trend of reconstruction or severe altering of the textiles available.


6. What is your favorite item in your shop?

Right now I have a limited amount available online but I would have to say I adore the Vintage 1970’s Black Victorian Revival Dress Set in my shop.
Here are a few more items from Maxine's shop:


Vintage 60s 70s Velvet Cocktail Dress XS

Vintage 50s Day Dress S Unworn with Hang Tag

Vintage 70s Fringed Camo Wrap Dress ML

Vintage 50s Rhinestone Button Front Striped Taffeta Dress S